World University Service Of Canada (WUSC) is a non-governmental organisations (ngo) located in Lilongwe, Malawi. Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. The IGNI+E project, funded by Global Affairs Canada, supports over 70 partner organizations to advance gender equality and the economic empowerment of 1.2 million youth around the world.
IGNI+E harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled Canadians through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalised youth, particularly young women. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, women’s organizations, and youth groups.
In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Purpose of the role
Join an organization that harnesses the knowledge, capacity and expertise of skilled individuals through volunteer assignments and public engagement activities to assist partners in improving their performance, advocating for gender equality, and implementing more sustainable, innovative and inclusive initiatives and services for poor and marginalized youth, particularly young women.
- Support the organization and partners in facilitating the effective coordination of the program technical working groups;
- Facilitate networking and linkages among different partners;
- Conduct a donor landscape analysis to identify opportunities for the organization and its partners;
- Assist in drafting project proposals including, concept notes, competitive bids and grant applications
- In collaboration with the Finance and Administration team, support partners in developing, managing and reporting on project specific budgets;
- Support country office staff in program related activities,
- Work with local staff in providing program support to Canadian volunteers to contribute to the realization of program goals and completion of assignments;
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities
- Support partners to empower young women and promote a culture of gender sensitive representation in all activities and program benefits.
Competencies (Skills/Abilities & Behaviour)
- Pursuing (or recently completed) studies in Development Studies, economics, entrepreneurship or equivalent experience in communication or any other relevant field;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to communicate and produce timely results
- A commitment to gender equality, youth inclusion, and volunteering
- Flexibility, adaptability, resilience, self-awareness, confidence, ability to work well in a team, interpersonal skills, communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Written and oral fluency in English
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Mastercard Foundation Scholar Award letter or letter of attestation from your Mastercard Foundation Program Manager at the institution that awarded you the Scholarship. Secondary Scholars who studied in non-Scholars Program partner universities can apply with the award letter they received from their Secondary Education NGO ( Equity, CAMFED, BRAC and FAWE)
- Copy of ID / Passport proving your citizenship or eligibility to work in the country
- Copy of Highest Education Certificate/Qualification
Duration & Additional information
- 6x Months Internship Program ONLY, the host organization reserve the right to extend the internship or convert it to a job based on performance and identified need. No full time jobs are guaranteed
- All applicants are strongly advised to take note of the minimum eligibility, if all of the requirements are not met, your application will not be processed
We will ensure that no job applicant receives less favorable treatment because of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, colour, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability or age; nor be disadvantaged by any other conditions or requirements which are irrelevant.
- Annual Salary Offer Monthly Stipend
- Experience Level Graduate
- Total Years Of Experience 0
- Academic Qualification Bachelor's Degree: Development Studies, economics, entrepreneurship or related field