In Kenya, Humanity & Inclusion is providing assistance to the most vulnerable people in refugee camps. The organization is also taking action to combat sexual violence against children with disabilities, to improve mother and child health services and to increase employment opportunities and political participation of people with disabilities. Humanity & Inclusion began working in Kenya in 1992 and currently has a team of 69 staff members.
Areas of Intervention
- Inclusive Education
The Dadaab refugee complex in east Kenya has a population of approximately 240,00 registered refugees and asylum seekers. Kakuma and Kalobeyei settlements in northwest Kenya host more than 180,000 refugees. Humanity & Inclusion works in both camps and surrounding host communities to provide physical rehabilitation services, including provision of assistive devices such as wheelchairs and crutches. The organization works alongside communities to improve the living conditions of the most vulnerable refugees, in particular those with disabilities, by ensuring equal access to services, raising awareness of discrimination and building the capacity of staff working with refugees to assess needs.
In Kenya, Humanity & Inclusion is fighting against sexual violence that victimizes children, especially those with disabilities. The organization informs children, families, organizations and local authorities about their rights as guaranteed under the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and helps survivors and their parents or guardians access immediate assistance and long-term support.
Purpose of the role
Work with patients who suffer from back and neck injuries, fractures, neurological disorders, work or sports-related injuries, and other conditions. The treatments a physical therapist chooses will depend on the patient and their injury.
- Prescribing and providing appropriate physical rehabilitation treatments, therapeutic techniques, supportive devices, and assistive technologies to the assessed clients.
- Training clients on home follow up programs and caregivers on basic rehabilitation techniques for therapy continuity.
- Documenting client progress in the files, keeping service records, and writing reports.
- Managing rehabilitation supplies at the service point and maintaining an up-to-date supply inventory.
- Working as a counterpart to the designated service point in charge.
- Observing client confidentiality and complying with other organization’s policies, rules, and regulations.
- Working with identified partners to improve access to service and inclusion of persons with disabilities.
Competencies (skills/abilities & behaviour)
- Bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy
- Should be able to integrate into a multi-cultural environment and have good interpersonal skills.
- Should be a self-starter and able to work in a team
- Should be willing to learn and adapt to a dynamic environment
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Mastercard Foundation Scholar Award letter or letter of attestation from your Mastercard Foundation Program Manager at the institution that awarded you the Scholarship. Secondary Scholars who studied in non-Scholars Program partner universities can apply with the award letter they received from their Secondary Education NGO ( Equity, CAMFED, BRAC and FAWE)
- Copy of ID / Passport proving your citizenship or eligibility to work in the country
- Copy of Highest Education Certificate/Qualification
Duration & Additional information
- 6x Months Internship Program ONLY, the host organization reserve the right to extend the internship or convert it to a job based on performance and identified need. No full time jobs are guaranteed
- All applicants are strongly advised to take note of the minimum eligibility, if all of the requirements are not met, your application will not be processed
We will ensure that no job applicant receives less favorable treatment because of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, colour, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability or age; nor be disadvantaged by any other conditions or requirements which are irrelevant.
- Annual Salary Offer Monthly Stipend
- Experience Level Graduate
- Total Years Of Experience 0
- Academic Qualification Bachelor's Degree: Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy