In Kenya, Humanity & Inclusion is providing assistance to the most vulnerable people in refugee camps. The organization is also taking action to combat sexual violence against children with disabilities, to improve mother and child health services and to increase employment opportunities and political participation of people with disabilities. Humanity & Inclusion began working in Kenya in 1992 and currently has a team of 69 staff members.
Areas of Intervention
- Inclusive Education
The Dadaab refugee complex in east Kenya has a population of approximately 240,00 registered refugees and asylum seekers. Kakuma and Kalobeyei settlements in northwest Kenya host more than 180,000 refugees. Humanity & Inclusion works in both camps and surrounding host communities to provide physical rehabilitation services, including provision of assistive devices such as wheelchairs and crutches. The organization works alongside communities to improve the living conditions of the most vulnerable refugees, in particular those with disabilities, by ensuring equal access to services, raising awareness of discrimination and building the capacity of staff working with refugees to assess needs.
In Kenya, Humanity & Inclusion is fighting against sexual violence that victimizes children, especially those with disabilities. The organization informs children, families, organizations and local authorities about their rights as guaranteed under the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, and helps survivors and their parents or guardians access immediate assistance and long-term support.
Purpose of the role
Join this 38-year-old independent and impartial organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, taking action and bearing witness in order to respond to their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
- Collect testimonials, success, impact and case stories,
- Develop content for newsletters and maintaining monthly blogs
- Support in the development of awareness-raising material
- Development of materials for social media
- Retweet and share materials developed on social media
- Support monthly virtual training for MSME through zoom or a similar platform.
- Support MSMEs to access WhatsApp for peer to peer learning.
- Capture good quality videos and photos during project implementation,
- Work with local youth groups to raise awareness through electoral media and social media.
- Ensure proper donor and HI visibility while having joint events with local youth groups
Competencies (skills/abilities & behaviour)
- Must possess a degree in Mass Communication or Journalism
- Have a Bachelor degree in Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy
- Should be able to integrate into a multi-cultural environment and have good interpersonal skills.
- Be a self-starter and able to work in a team.
- Be willing to work and learn in a hardship area.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Mastercard Foundation Scholar Award letter or letter of attestation from your Mastercard Foundation Program Manager at the institution that awarded you the Scholarship. Secondary Scholars who studied in non-Scholars Program partner universities can apply with the award letter they received from their Secondary Education NGO ( Equity, CAMFED, BRAC and FAWE)
- Copy of ID / Passport proving your citizenship or eligibility to work in the country
- Copy of Highest Education Certificate/Qualification
Duration & Additional information
- 6x Months Internship Program ONLY, the host organization reserve the right to extend the internship or convert it to a job based on performance and identified need. No full time jobs are guaranteed
- All applicants are strongly advised to take note of the minimum eligibility, if all of the requirements are not met, your application will not be processed
We will ensure that no job applicant receives less favorable treatment because of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, colour, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability or age; nor be disadvantaged by any other conditions or requirements which are irrelevant.
- Annual Salary Offer Monthly Stipend
- Experience Level Graduate
- Total Years Of Experience 0
- Academic Qualification Bachelor’s Degree: Communication and technology, Community Resource Management, Development Studies, Community Development or any relevant field