One Acre Fund is an agricultural development company working in several countries across East Africa that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. Instead of giving handouts, One Acre invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a “market bundle” that includes education, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access. Our program is proven impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than 100% average gain in farm income per acre. We have a laser-like focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.
We are growing quickly. In ten years, we have grown to serve 350,000 farm families with more than 2,500 full-time staff in Kenya alone. In three more years, we will at least quadruple in size, while adding several new country programs. Our approach has won widespread validation, winning grants from the highly competitive Echoing Green and Skoll Foundations, and the global Financial Times/ IFC award for “basic needs financing” in 2010 and 2011.
Purpose Of The Job
The mandate of the Market Access team is to start-up agribusinesses that work for smallholder farmers, focusing on high-value crops such as macadamia and avocados. As a member of the Market Access team, you contribute to developing innovative programs as they move from early-stage trials to scale.
Two of the flagship Market Access projects enable macadamia and Avocado farmers by sourcing from them at premium prices, processing high-quality products according to international standards, and exporting globally to distribution partners in Europe and America. As part of this project, we are looking for an intern who can help to share our impact model around macadamia and Avocado Aggregation and Extension services.
- Design and iterate various crop commercialization aggregation models to lay the foundation of all crops in the Market Access pipeline. The goal is to build an entirely new business function. This may include working with various internal stakeholders (e.g. DUKA team) to implement collection strategy; building prototypes; and other related activities.
- Build extension systems (using tech platforms, by writing training materials, and setting up monitoring systems) to enable the Crop Commercialization team to train farmers on key certifications, support them to achieve them, and audit compliance to the standards. The key certifications for Avocado include GlobalGAP and SMETA. For Macadamia, we will likely pursue organic certifications.
- Write training materials for the Aggregation & Extension team. Other than required training for certifications, this will include agronomy training that will help farmers (and 1AF Avo pickers) to maximize harvests through correct harvesting and post-harvest handling of Macadamia nut and Hass Avocado fruit. The intern will prepare leaflets, pamphlets, and other material for use as training aids.
Competencies (skills/abilities & behaviour)
- University Degree in food security, agriculture (Crops Science and/ or Horticulture), natural resource conservation, or related fields;
- Strong communication, analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Highly flexible and adaptable;
- Works well with others, especially with individuals across cultures and contexts;
- Must have good training skills;
- Must be hands-on –leading by example;
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Mastercard Foundation Scholar Award letter or letter of attestation from your Mastercard Foundation Program Manager at the institution that awarded you the Scholarship. Secondary Scholars who studied in non-Scholars Program partner universities can apply with the award letter they received from their Secondary Education NGO ( Equity, CAMFED, BRAC and FAWE)
- Copy of ID / Passport proving your citizenship or eligibility to work in the country
- Copy of Highest Education Certificate/Qualification
Duration & Additional information
- 6x Months Internship Program ONLY, the host organization reserve the right to extend the internship or convert it to a job based on performance and identified need. No full time jobs are guaranteed
- All applicants are strongly advised to take note of the minimum eligibility, if all of the requirements are not met, your application will not be processed
We will ensure that no job applicant receives less favorable treatment because of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, colour, race, ethnic origin, religion, disability or age; nor be disadvantaged by any other conditions or requirements which are irrelevant.
- Annual Salary Offer Monthly Stipend
- Experience Level Graduate
- Total Years Of Experience 0
- Academic Qualification Bachelor's Degree: food security, agriculture, Crops Science, horticulture, natural resource conservation